Monday, July 17, 2006

Bad news on wireless access

UPDATE: Lynne and Nikki report that there is free wireless in the Mall at Peachtree Center which is connected to the Marriott via pedestrian walkway.
*^*^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Although I called the Marriott and was repeatedly reassured that the wireless was free in the public and meeting room areas, other people are being told differently.

Ember emailed her experience:

"I had several people tell me that the Marriott's wireless is not free in the meeting and public areas, so I just called them and asked. And... it's not free :( The woman I spoke with told me that it is $10 for the first 10 minutes, then .40 a minute after that. I asked her, is there any free internet anywhere inside the Marriott? And she said "No." I'm hearing reports of a starbucks across the street from the hotel. . ."


There is a company called Ripple (formerly 3rd Wave) that is trying to wire all of Atlanta. You can view the free wireless map here. I haven't had time to check the map closely, but it doesn't look like there is anything closer than a mile or so.

Here is a map of Starbucks cafes (again, haven't had a chance to examine map closely) and the closest Panera Bread -- it's 3.7 miles away.

If you know of wireless access points, please let me know.

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 17, 2006 10:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was at Dragon*Con last September, there was free Internet access in the food court at the Peachtree Center Mall, which is connected to the Marquis by a skywalk. Although I'm not checking in to the Marquis until Wednesday, I'll be in and out of the hotel earlier in the week to help with preparations for one of the events. When I'm there, I'll stop by the mall and see if wireless is still available and free of charge. I'll post a comment with what I find out.

 
At Monday, July 17, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jude--

The Mall at Peachtree Center has FREE wireless internet available in designated areas of the South Food Court near the Information Booth. Haven't used it, so I can't vouch for it but there's an announcement on the mall's website at www.peachtreecenter.com/mall. Just click on Coupons & Promotions and it's at the bottom of the page.

The good thing is that the mall connects to the Marriott via an enclosed pedway. The bad thing, though, is that the food court closes at 6pm.

Hope that helps,
Nikki

 
At Monday, July 17, 2006 11:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jude--
What an interesting project. I'll be there and I'm planning on blogging every night. My blog is:
http://booksforabuck.bravejournal.com/

Rob Preece
Author and Publisher
www.BooksForABuck.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home