Friday, July 28, 2006

The FF&P party: The Gathering

This was Wednesday night, same night at the Cherry party, overlapping with the second half of the Literacy Bookfair.

Around 7 pm the start time for the event, I began to wander around the three lobby levels looking for the correct room. I finally found it by following women in gowns going down an escalator.



Lynne Simpson was a busy woman that night, I saw her first at the registration desk, then later she introduced the speakers.



Next to the registration desk was the raffle table loaded down with wonderful bags.


I didn’t see anyone I recognized (I know maybe four members by face) so I had to do the old Which-table-looks-least-scary-to-try-to-sit-at?

Not so scary, right?


The tables were beautifully decorated with glitter and beads and ribbons and candles.


A few women had wonderful glow-in-the-dark blinking cocktail glasses. Here are two photos to try to show the effect, one with flash, one without.





Victoria Stark the chapter president opened the event, then passed the mike to Lynne who then introduced the speakers. It was a terrific speaker series of editors and agents; it was very hard to leave halfway through to attend the last half of the Cherry party.



Scott Eagan of Greyhaus Literary Agency was the first speaker.


Greyhaus is a one-agent shop, founded about three years ago, focuses exclusively on romance because of its market dominant position. Scott is a very hands-on agent, likes to edit work, works closely with his clients, they even call him at home. . . Asked about his recent sales, he said he was very very excited to announce a three-book deal with Triskelion.

The photos that follow are the worst so far because I was not using a flash (to avoid annoying people in the dark room) but still EVERY TIME I took a single picture of the speaker, someone at the next table tsked at me. WTH? A meaner me would have turned and taken a flash photo of the Tsker every time she tsked me.

Next up was Deirdre Knight of the Knight Agency which recently celebrated its tenth anniversary.



And I've run out of time, so more on who spoke and what they said later tonight!

2 Comments:

At Friday, July 28, 2006 8:11:00 PM, Blogger Scope Dope Cherrybomb said...

Thanks for the photos and the commentary. It makes it seem a little like we're there. I have never been to a conference but I am looking forward to New Jersey in October.

Thanks
Penny

 
At Tuesday, August 01, 2006 12:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific photos. I attended the Gathering and it was a great time. Listening to the agents and editors give the "State of the Genre" was so informative. Kudos to everyone who made this such an enjoyable event.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home